Focaccia RecipeJune 17, 2021
Focaccia is a deceptively easy flat oven-baked Italian bread that delivers a rich, soft texture with extra crispy edges that everyone will like in a sandwich.
- Start by dissolving the yeast in the water. Set aside.
- Sift together the Mastercook Maida, Chakki atta and salt in a bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add the water slowly, incorporating more flour as you go along.
- Slowly knead the dough, it helps to make a mixing motion as well. The dough might be a little sticky but keep kneading till its smooth and elastic.
- Add the Olive Pomace oil and mix till incorporated.
- Once the oil is incorporated, roll the dough into a ball and set in a greased bowl, cover with a towel. Allow to rise for 45 mins to 1 hour.
- Grease a 6*6 square pan with Olive oil liberally.
- Place the dough in the pan and lightly pick up the edges to stretch and fill the pan.
- Cover and allow to rise (proof) once again for 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 200 C/ 400 F/ Gas Mark
- Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil on top of the proofed dough and using slightly wet fingers, make dimples by pressing into the dough lightly. This creates a nice look to the finished bread.
- Top with toppings of your choice, Cherry tomatoes, olives, onions, bell peppers work great!
- Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and place in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the top is golden and crisp.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
- Do not use Extra Virgin Olive Oil for the dough as it has a low smoking point and a dominating aroma and taste, it works great only if unheated and used as a finishing oil.
- Instead of Olive Pomace oil, you can use Virgin olive oil or any neutral cooking oil but note that Olive pomace oil has a slightly richer taste which neutral oil cannot provide.
- Your baking pan needs a generous drizzle of olive oil to have a nice and crispy crust to the bread, merely coating it won’t give you the same effect.
South Indian Style Egg Curry