Honey Lime Chicken with Brown Rice Herb PilafAugust 3, 2021
Tender, juicy marinated lemon chicken legs, with a absolutely fluffy, aromatic Pilaf, this Canadian – British cuisine is sure to wow your family or your guests
For the Chicken :
- 3 Whole chicken legs (about 1 kg)
- 15 gm / 8-10 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- 30 gm / 1.5 tbsp Pure Honey
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp Lime Juice (about 2 small limes)
- 8 ml / ½ tbsp Soy Sauce
- 6 gm / 2 tsp Salt
- 4 gm / 1.5 tsp Mastercook Pepper, ground.
- 30 gm / 1.5 tbsp Butter
For the Pilaf :
- 250 gm Mastercook Brown Rice
- 60 gm / 1 medium Onion, finely chopped.
- 6 gm / 2 tsp Salt.
- 20 gm/ 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 gm / 1/3 tsp garlic powder
- 40 gm / 2.5 tbsp Herb Pesto.
- 500 ml Water
For the Honey Lime Chicken:
- Preheat your oven to 200 C/400 F/ Gas Mark 6
- In a large mixing bowl, add the Chicken legs along with all the other ingredients. Mix well to combine and coat the chicken. Rest for 10 minutes.
- Line a baking tray with foil and grease lightly with oil.
- Place the chicken legs on the tray and pour the marinade on top. Ensure that the pieces of garlic stay on top of the chicken.
- Using a spoon, put the butter equally on top of the pieces.
- Cover with another sheet of foil and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes on the bottom rack.
- Check it after 30 minutes by poking a knife in the thickest part of the chicken, if the juices run clear, it is done. If not, keep for another 10 minutes and check again.
- Once the chicken is baked, there will be some marinade and juices in the pan. Using a spoon, carefully spoon it over top of the chicken and move it to the top rack of the oven.
- Turn on the broiler to max heat. Broil both sides of the chicken until golden and crisp. Remove and serve hot.
For the Pilaf :
- Wash and soak the Mastercook Brown Rice for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the water until boiling.
- In a nonstick pot, add the butter and saute the onion until translucent.
- Strain and add the soaked rice. Toast the rice, stirring continuously on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the boiled water and salt.
- Once the water is boiling vigorously, turn the flame to low and cover with a tight lid. Ideally, transfer the pot to the smallest burner on low flame.
- Cook for 45-50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
- Check the rice after 45 minutes, it would have absorbed all of the water and be soft. If not, add a little amount of boiling water and let it continue to cook till done.
- After it is fully cooked, stir in the herb pesto and mix well to combine. Serve Hot.
- If you do not have an oven, you can cook the chicken on a skillet. Brown both sides and then cover and cook on a low flame until cooked through.
- You can use Boneless thighs as well, the cooking time will reduce slightly.
- Do not rush the process of cooking the rice, it will a minimum of 40 minutes.
- You can marinate the chicken overnight as well and cook it the next day.
South Indian Style Egg Curry