Ragi Bread RollsSeptember 6, 2021
Savour these rolls with your favourite spreads or toasted into a sandwich, soft and fluffy with the goodness of high fibre Vijay Ragi Flour, which aids digestion and weight loss.
- In a Kadai or nonstick pot, bring 250 ml of water and the salt to a boil.
- Add the ragi flour and stir constantly until all the water has absorbed and it is a semi dry mass. Keep mixing to combine well.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool completely. Meanwhile, combine the yeast and 25 ml of water and set aside.
- Knead the ragi dough for a few minutes until smooth and malleable.
- Now add the Chakki atta and the yeast mixture. Knead well for 4-5 minutes until a soft dough forms, splashing more water if required.
- Add the oil and knead until incorporated.
- Cover and set aside for 20 minutes. It will rise slightly.
- Now divide the dough equally into 12 balls. Roll each ball into a tight roll, by dipping it into a little Chakki Atta.
- Set on a baking tray and proof for 30 minutes. Begin preheating the oven after 10 minutes to 200 C / 400 F / Gas Mark 6.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the top springs back when lightly pressed and the bottom is a light golden color.
- Cool on a wire rack before consuming.
- Do not be tempted to add more water to the ragi dough while heating it. If there are a few dry spots, those will be absorbed while kneading.
- The precooking of ragi flour is important to achieve the proper texture, otherwise the bread will not cook through.
South Indian Style Egg Curry