Idli ManchurianNovember 10, 2021
It’s a simple and tasty South Indian Cuisine recipe that can be made with leftover idlis & Manchurian Sauce. It can be served as a starter, breakfast or snack.
For the Idli's
- 1 cup Vijay Idli Rava
- 1 cup curd
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- Salt as per taste
- ½ to ¾ cup water
- ½ tsp baking soda
For the tadka
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp asafoetida/hing
- ½ tsp Urad Dal/Split black lentils
- 1 tsp Chana Dal/Bengal Gram
- 8-9 curry leaves
- 8-10 cashew nuts
For the batter to fry the Idli
For Manchurian Sauce
- 2 tsp oil
- 8-9 garlic cloves
- 3-4 fresh green chilies
- 1 small onion (cut into small cubes)
- 1 small capsicum (cut into small cubes)
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 2 tablespoon red chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- ¼- ½ cup warm water
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- Corn flour slurry (1 tablespoon corn flour mixed with 2 tablespoon water)
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ cup chopped spring onion greens
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
For making the Idlis
- In a mixing bowl, take Vijay Idli Rawa, add curd, salt, black pepper powder, mix everything well.
- Next add water and make a batter of smooth consistency.
- Cover and rest it for 30 minutes.
- For the tadka, in a pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds, asafoetida/hing, urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves, cashew nuts (roughly chopped), and fry it for 2-3 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add the prepared tadka in the idli batter, mix everything well.
- Add baking soda in the idli batter, mix it.
- Grease the idli stand/maker with little oil, add the prepared idli batter in the idli maker/stand and steam it on a medium flame for about 10-12 minutes.
- Once it cools down, cut the idli into four pieces. Keep it aside.
For frying the Idlis
- In a mixing bowl, add All purpose flour, corn flour, salt, black pepper powder, add little water at a time and make a smooth batter.
- Heat oil in a pan, lightly coat each of the idli pieces with the prepared batter and deep fry it on a medium flame, until they are crips and golden brown in colour. Keep it aside.
For the Manchurian Sauce:
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped garlic, sauté it for 1 minute, add chopped fresh green chilies, again sauté if for another 1 minute.
- Add the onion & capsicum, fry it on a high flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Add soya sauce, red chili sauce, tomato ketchup, mix everything well for 2 minutes.
- Add warm water and again cook it for another 2 minutes.
- Add salt, black pepper powder, add the corn flour slurry, once the sauce starts to thicken. Add the fried Idli pieces, toss it well for about 1 minute.
- Add spring onion greens, little garam masala and chopped coriander leaves, give everything a nice mix for another 1-2 minutes and its ready. Serve immediately.
- For frying the idli pieces, lightly coat the idli pieces with the prepared batter one by one. Do not fry all the idli pieces at one time, do it in batches.
- For making the Manchurian Sauce, use warm water.
- Addition of garam masala powder is completely optional.
- After adding the fried idli pieces in the sauce, quickly toss it with the sauce, so that it remains crispy.
South Indian Style Egg Curry