Nan-e Berenji RecipeAugust 11, 2021
Nan-e Berenji’s Iranian – Persian Rice Flour cookies, also known as Rice Bread. Sweet and crumbly cookies made with Vijay Rice flour are ideal with a cup of tea!
- 260 gm / 2 cups Vijay Gold Rice Flour
- 60 ml / ¼ cup Vegetable oil
- 60 gm / ¼ cup Ghee/butter, softened
- 75 gm / ¾ cup Sugar, powdered
- 1 egg yolk
- 40 ml / 3 tbsp Rose water
- 1-2 gm / ¼ tsp Mastercook Khas-Khas
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar along with the oil and Ghee/butter.
- Once thoroughly combined, whisk in the egg yolk and mix till thoroughly combined.
- Now add the rose water and whisk till the mixture is smooth and homogenous.
- Add the rice flour in 3 batches, mixing well with a spatula or with your fingertips till the dough comes together and the bowl is clean.
- Refrigerate the dough for 15-20 minutes to firm it up and make it easier to shape.
- Preheat your oven to 170 C / 325 F / Gas Mark 3
- After 15-20 minutes, remove the chilled dough and divide it into 24 equal pieces, weighing about 22-24 gms each.
- Lightly press down with the palm of your hand to form a thick round cookie, similar to a nankhatai.
- Place on a baking sheet, fairly close together as they wont spread much at all.
- After all have been shaped, use a teaspoon and with light pressure, indent the top of the cookies to form a pattern, you can even make a flower or star if you wish.
- Put a small pinch of poppy seeds in the center of each cookie
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the cookies are firm to the touch and the bottom is slightly golden.
- You can use 100% butter or ghee for this recipe if you wish, the taste will be much richer.
- These cookies can be made slightly thinner as well, it will result in a crispy and crunchy cookie.
- Do not allow the cookies to brown on top at all, it should be a very light golden on the bottom.
South Indian Style Egg Curry