Kanda Poha RecipeAugust 24, 2021
Maharashtrian cuisine, a mouthwatering breakfast and snack that is quick & easy, a popular dish in Mumbai’s streets, enjoy this simple dish at home with Vijay Avalakki.
- 150 gm / 1 cup Vijay Gold Medium Avalakki
- 100 gm / 1 large onion, diced
- 2 gm / 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 1 gm / ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 4 gm / 1 tsp Sugar
- 10 ml / ½ lemon Juiced
- Salt to taste
- Chopped Coriander for garnish
- In a large colander, add the Vijay Gold Medium Avalakki and sprinkle a little water on it, mix well and ensure that all the Avalakki is hydrated well. Set aside.
- In a Kadai, heat oil and add the mustard seeds. Once spluttered, add the curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the Onions and saute until translucent. Do not brown.
- Add the salt, sugar and turmeric powder, stir well.
- Add the avalakki and mix until all the poha has turned a golden color evenly.
- Switch off the flame and add the lime juice.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Ensure that the avalakki is just wet and not soaked. If soaked or dripping, it will lead to a soggy final dish.
- You can add peanuts and even roasted chana dal if you prefer.
- Instead of stirring once the avalakki is added, a tossing motion is more effective at mixing and it will ensure that the avalakki does not stick together.
South Indian Style Egg Curry